Monday, December 25, 2023

1 Litre of Tears rewatch (ep 1)

 

1 Litre no Namida (2005)

Rewatching possibly one of the best TV dramas in my opinion. This left such a strong impression on me growing up. Not gonna lie, it may have had some influence on me ultimately choosing my career path, but obviously you'll never catch me admitting this in an interview 😝


Episode 1 - ""The Beginning of my Youth"

I'm just enraptured by the warmth of this drama. Her family is so loving and colorful. Love how they quickly and smoothly introduced us to Aya, the eldest daughter, responsible, smart, kind, pretty, the "perfect child" "perfect student" like her younger sister so grudgingly calls her. She had it all going for her. Which makes the story so heartbreaking.

Her mother is a physical therapist (?) - I didn't notice this on my first watch. That makes sense that she would have been the first to notice the symptoms, then, because she's not only a mother, she's also in the medical field. 

I'm impressed how much attention to detail the makers of the drama paid to her disease - during the examination with the neurologist, they even got the nystagmus and saccadic intrusions right! The finger to nose dysmetria! So good!

My only critique is the diagnosis happened a little too fast- one MRI? No labs? No spinal tap? The doctor just took a look at her and the shrinkage of her cerebellum and decided it was the neurodegenerative form? 

(Also wow, not only did they get to see the neurologist without a wait time, the MRI brain happened the SAME VISIT! Is it really how things be in Japan???)

And, lastly, I have to gush about Nikishido Ryo's character - our totally emo/punkish/rebel male lead. I'm all about character developments and he has one of the most beautiful character arcs. As well as his relationship with Aya.

"Enemies to friends" trope here - sort of. He's a jerk to her at the beginning, but he's a good kid at heart. Or he'd never have offered to take her to the school on his bike! Awwww.

She's put off by his reaction when she tries to thank him. She has a terrible opinion of him, hahaha. Yeah, he does seem like a weirdo.

(He had GUNS on his bedroom wall, like WTF?! lmao... thank god for Aya, I'm scared to think how he would've turned out otherwise)

Aya's little speech at the end - I get a little cringe watching this, can you imagine if she tried to say this in an American high school, she'd get crushed. But it's a sweet and inspiring little speech and because it's a warm and gentle drama with warm and gentle people (for the most part), she wins over her classmates. Awwww.


Favorite scene: any scene with her family in it, especially her dad

Close runner-up: the scene with her and Asou-kun at the hospital. It's the first time they really talk outside of class!

1 litre of tears - playlist by Ben Newman | Spotify




No comments:

Post a Comment